- Hon. Speaker, The Minority Front agrees that the amendments to this Bill are to promote road traffic quality and safety.
- HON. Speaker, a major concern is that road rule transgressors fail to pay traffic fines for driving licences or permit. According to section 19 B of the Bill. Transgressors would be issued with an infringement and thereafter a warrant. If they do not comply, how will we deal with people who fail to acknowledge an infringement, Hon. Members. People do not accept speeding fines when delivered to their homes? Therefore a courtesy letter will not suffice.
- The public needs to be made aware of these amendments to the Bill, so much so that they understand the consequences of their failure to comply? For these, there department needs to withhold renewal of licences of outstanding fines are not paid.
- The Minority Front welcomes a need for tighter regulations to flow from this amendment Bill, an electronic version of all these bill which will be convenient for payment by many people, and reduce long waiting queues and revenue being misplaced.
- The Minority Front supports the Administrative Adjudication of Road Traffic Offences Amendment Bill, but more work has to be done, using regulations and these need to be budgeted for.
- Thank you
HON.S. Thakur- Rajbansi
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Thursday 18 October 2018
Time: 11:00 to 11:05
Word Count: 0 Words