- MEC, I appreciate your efforts to keep KZN stable, with law and order.
- But, I have a huge concern of land grabs in the Ballito area, where Indian farmers are affected.
- I have institutional knowledge that when the IFP ran the Province, we also had Indian farmer and tenure problems, but a parliamentary task team was always taken to these inflammatory sites and Indian minorities were protected.
- I would like to see a report to this HON. House on farm grabbing and would request that the department of Agriculture also commit to a safety intervention for farmers, using the forums set up 3 parliaments ago.
- MEC, Indian farmers have lost faith in SAPS officials, whom they say, when called to the scene of land grabs, ask the farmers to produce title deed.
- Is this the legal protocol in departments? Not to my knowledge.
- MEC, Indian farmers although they came as indentured labourers but then worked hard and bought land.
- Indian people have always lived harmoniously with all race groups and this matter is extremely worrisome because Indian farmers contribute to the economy of KZN and need to be protected.
- The Minority Front wants these incidents investigated and an executive report to this HON. House.
- Thank you
Debated by: Hon. Shameen Thakur-Rajbansi
Minority Front Leader (KZN Legislature)
Date: Wed 9 May 2018
Time: 10:25 to 11:25